CFS/ME and Me

CFS/ME and Me is a blog about my experience having this disease. I want this blog to be a resource for people to come learn about (and occasionally laugh about) CFS/ME and the effects it has on those suffering from it.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Weird Cognitive Behavior



I am currently working on my Chemistry and Algebra II credits for highschool. Those are DEFINITELY my worst subjects. There is somethig about numbers that just doesn't register in my brain. I think this MUST be related to my CFS. I never used to have this much trouble with math. Let me give you an example. My homebound teacher, lets call her Ms. Jones, is asking me what 3 x 3 is. I think about it, and say with enthustiasm, "Six!". She looks at me like I've a mutated bumble bee without a brain, and says, "No, try again". I just think, "#&^%, what is wrong with me???".

I can do all the hard calculations in my head, but the simplest thing, like 2 x 2 and 3 x 3 just gets me! I need to think of a way to tell people about the cognitive issues without having to lecture an hour about the effects of CFS on the brain.

Well, those of you suffering from any disease or ailment, here's a thought:


ATTITUDE

There once was a woman who woke up one morning,
looked in the mirror,
and noticed she had only three hairs on her head.

"Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today."

So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and
saw that she had only two hairs on her head.

"H-M-M, " she said,


"I think I'll part my hair down the middle today."

So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head.

"Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail."


So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that
there wasn't a single hair on her head.

"YEAH!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!"

Attitude is everything.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog.

2:10 AM  
Anonymous CBT said...

Sometimes the concept on the way we think about things affects how we feel emotionally. And Cognitive Behavioral therapy can be employed in any situation which there is a pattern of unwanted behavior accompanied by distress and impairment. This therapy focuses on present thinking, behavior and communication rather than on past experiences and is oriented in problem solving.

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home